Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Little foxes...

Sometimes you just have to be deliberate about things.

I'd love to be spontaneous, exciting and free, but we have three kids...and we homeschool...so I have about an hour a day to be spontaneous...and that is too small of a window of opportunity.

My husband and I have started waking up early - before the kids.

And I'm hopeful that sometime soon it will become a time to talk, connect and pray together before we start our days.

Right now, getting up early means hitting the snooze button and then standing in the shower for an almost obscene amount of time to "wake up."

But we will adjust (won't we?). 

I'm dreaming of conversations over steaming mugs of coffee and a chance to pray our day through together. I don't know about you, but something amazing always happens when my husband prays for me. Some days, the sweet echo of his prayer is like a life raft for me.

We are also scheduling dates...or at least trying to. We are both weary of months that fly by without an opportunity to make our marriage better. So we're being deliberate.

Once a month is our goal. A time to reconnect and realize that we are more than just "mom" and "dad" that we are lovers and friends.

I don't want to look at my husband when little one is finally ready to leave the nest and say
"Who are you?"

In Song of Solomon 2:15 God issues a warning that is relevant to all married couples...with kids and without. (You can read it here.)

"Catch the foxes for us, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards, for our vineyards are in blossom."

In our relationship, we've found that our "little fox" is the disconnect that comes from not spending time together. 

We want our marriage to be a beautiful vineyard, so we're going to work together to rid our relationship of its "little foxes." 




What is your "little fox"?

2 comments:

Monique Zackery said...

What a beautiful post, Kristi! It's so real. I have a hard time waking up in the morning, and I don't even have little ones yet! Sometimes I wonder what in the world I'm going to do when tiny people are running around and I need to wake up earlier than they do! I love your heart for catching the little foxes in marriage. It's so important to keep that in mind and tend to our vineyard. I enjoyed your blog.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Kristi Slattery said...

Trust me, Monique, you won't have any problems waking up when you have little ones. : )

Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

Followers