Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Life lessons...

Today is my birthday and I'm kind of excited.

Precious girl and her daddy helped to make sure the house was lovely when I woke up this morning - that is always a blessing! Especially after I was away. She also decorated the house with streamers and signs, and fresh coffee was awaiting me when I (finally!) woke up this morning. I feel thoroughly spoiled and it's only 8:30 a.m.!

Birthdays are a lovely way to reflect on the past year and to take stock of some life lessons you've learned. While I don't profess to have any special wisdom (I'm certainly not old enough for that yet *wink*) I thought I'd share my journey so we could learn together...

1. I am more selfish than I admit.
I want to homeschool but still have my home look presentable and have the laundry done and wholesome food prepared. Notice how all these things are what "I" want. (sigh) What God wants is that I obediently walk with him and teach our children at home during this season. He is gently leading me to stop and pray before I make my to-do list for the day. When I do that, somehow all those things get done and no one feels frazzled by the time daddy gets home.

2. I need my time with Jesus.
A little while ago, I would have answered that the first thing I needed in the morning was a cup of coffee steaming hot with cream and sugar...Ok, I still need that but I love that God is cultivating a true love of his word in my heart. On those mornings where I opt to have coffee but no time in the word, the day will not go smoothly. I'm learning to do both and I love the sweet things God teaches me during those times - even if it's not quiet...which leads me to point #3...

3. "Quiet" time won't happen most days...
I had a mistaken vision of my mornings that went something like this...
I would wake up and come downstairs and brew a cup of coffee. And while I snuggled up on my favorite couch and read my Bible, the sunlight would peek over the horizon and I'd be fed, showered and dressed before my children woke up...
Sounds nice right? Here's the reality. Whatever time I set my alarm for, the children will be up first. It is almost a guarantee. So that means I am often reading my Bible on the kitchen counter while fixing breakfast for three hungry little people. That means there are crumbs and food stains in my Bible. At least you will be able to know I've read it. My quiet time will come...which leads me to point #4...

4. I need to cherish this phase of life...
Ever say "things will be so much easier when (insert name) is potty trained, and (insert name) doesn't need a nap"... This part of life with little ones is fleeting and I need to enjoy the journey more. Precious Girl will be 12 in a few months; it goes too fast.In whatever phase of mommydom you find yourself, take time to enjoy those precious fleeting moments. All too soon the house will actually BE quiet in the morning...

5. My husband is more amazing than I give him credit for...
Ladies, your husband is a gift from God. He also may do things very differently than you'd do them, but that is ok. Let him do things his own way. He has just as much wisdom as you do.
Early on in our marriage, (and sadly, more recently than that...) I used to try and correct my husband and teach him the "right" way to do things. Now I know that he makes a better egg in the nest than I do, and he is much better at vacuuming, and the laundry always gets folded when he's watching football (it helps him track the time or something)...

6. I am going to mess up...
My favorite Bible verse is Lamentations 3: 22 - 23 for that reason!

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.


Linking up with:


No comments:

Followers