Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Who's carrying the torch??

I just love when I read scripture and God reveals something really cool! I love that by God's grace I have a new hunger for His word and I really look forward to my morning time with Him. I am also thankful that nothing quite feels right on the days when I neglect to spend time with Him. He is so faithful when we seek Him!

I am learning a bit more each day what it means to "lean not on your own understanding." Sometimes when I read a difficult passage of scripture, I immediately go to the notes at the bottom of the page to help me understand, or I ask my husband, or I run to the computer and look up the passage in several different versions. There's probably nothing wrong with doing that, but this morning God gently whispered to my heart - could I explain it to you now? Yikes! My chin just about hit the table! Why was I looking everywhere for the answers when the Author was waiting for me to talk to Him? He led me to this passage in Isaiah 50: 10, 11.

10 Who among you fears the LORD
       and obeys the word of his servant?
       Let him who walks in the dark,
       who has no light,
       trust in the name of the LORD
       and rely on his God.
 11 But now, all you who light fires
       and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
       go, walk in the light of your fires
       and of the torches you have set ablaze.
       This is what you shall receive from my hand:
       You will lie down in torment.

I was walking in the light of my own torch...again. I was so impatient for an answer that I almost missed an opportunity to meet with God this morning. How much torment do I subject myself to by trying to walk along with my own flashlight instead of relying on God for light and direction? As I go through this life, my dim little light isn't going to be sufficient. I'd rather walk in the dark and let God show me the way. I don't know about you, but I'd rather know that the Creator of the Universe is carrying my torch. I think I'll put my torch away now and wait.

No comments:

Followers