Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A delightful wife...?

I love to entertain. There is nothing I enjoy more than preparing to have guests in our home. I delight in the preparation and all the "little touches" that go into making people feel welcome. After a weekend of entertaining guests and being a hostess, it was kind of nice to go back to regular life yesterday.

This morning, the Lord drew my attention to this verse...
May your fountain be blessed,
       and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.  Proverbs 5:18
I started to reflect on that verse and what it meant for me. What does it mean to rejoice? Do I give my husband something to rejoice in? When we have guests, I spend the whole day making preparations, but do I routinely do the same thing for my own dear husband? Do I make it easy for him to rejoice or delight in coming home to me?

Sadly, this is what my husband walked into yesterday at 5:15...I had on my painting clothes, paint in my hair, no supper started (or even thought about), and smoke was coming out of my ears as I had just sent the little darlings to their respective rooms for a time out. Now, that was a scene for him to rejoice in! I realize that more often than not, I give my husband very little to delight in when he comes home for the day. I want him to look forward to coming home as much as I do. I want to be a wife to rejoice in! I want my home to be a place of rest and peace, for my family as much as my guests. It really won't be that hard, just a bit more pre-planning and involving the children in getting ready for daddy. I want to show my husband that I look forward to his arrival at the end of his work day. He is the head of the house and my enthusiasm and energy shouldn't just be reserved for our guests!

1 comment:

Fawn said...

This is a great posts! I have to remind myself of this often. I can get so caught up in my day that I don't prepare for my hubby to come home as I prepare for guests to come over and he's far more important than anyone else who ever crosses the threshold of our front door. Thanks for the reminder.

Followers