Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Lies We Believe...

Everyone else's house is cleaner than mine...
My children haven't learned enough...
They will never master fractions and long division...

Sound familiar? For me, the answer is yes. I realize that these "little" lies we believe about ourselves and our abilities to homeschool our children aren't so "little" at all. If I believe these lies I tell myself about my abilities, then I am not walking in the freedom that Christ purchased for me on the cross.

I seriously doubt that God looks down from Heaven to my humble little schoolroom and counts the cobwebs and goldfish cracker crumbs that reside there (although, trust me, he could.) I'd like to think that he sees three happy children laughing and playing while they learn and a mommy who is loving every moment. Isn't that why I chose to homeschool in the first place? So that we could be together? So why then do I believe that a clean house is more important than happy children?

As I put the finishing touches on my eldest daughter's portfolio for this year, I am blown away by the amount of material we did, in fact, cover. And what is more, she not only learned some cool things, she excelled! I had to keep inventing more topics to cover, more books to read, because she devoured everything I put in front of her. I am so thankful that God has given my children a desire to learn. And while we may not have completely mastered fractions and long division, I have seen growth in my children's character. I'll take that over an A+ any day! So why then do I worry that they aren't learning "enough"?

Homeschooling moms sometimes feel the weight of the world on their shoulders - and we allow it to be there. Today I feel God calling me to walk in truth. Confront the lies head on. Your home isn't the dirtiest in America. Your children have learned something, even if it is just how much you love them. Jesus is just waiting for us to lay down our burdens at the foot of His cross, waiting for us to walk in freedom. Let Him carry you through your school day today and I am certain that His love will remove any fears you may have about your abilities.

No comments:

Followers