Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A new reading plan...

A few years ago, I embarked on an ambitious mission - to read through the entire Bible in one year. It helped that there was a nicely laid out reading plan right in the back of my Bible. Each day as I read, I felt immense satisfaction as I checked off the day's reading. That time with God every morning became precious to me - something that I hungered for, and missed when I forgot my reading for the day.

image courtesy Arvind Balaraman freedigitalphotos.net

I learned so much that year, and if you haven't done that, I'd highly recommend it! There are some wonderful reading plans available online - and they are FREE (that is certainly important to this homeschooling momma, who tends to be a bit cheap frugal). Back to the Bible (link here) has several offerings on their website. My favorite one is the chronological study - through it, you read the Bible in order as events happened in time, not just Genesis through Revelation. My husband and I did that study many years ago and it was awe-inspiring to see how God laid out his story in the Bible.

Lately, however, I haven't felt called to read through God's whole book cover to cover. I've simply read what I feel my heart pulled to each morning. For me, an inveterate list-maker, it's refreshing to have no particular goal in mind but to read what God wants to teach me for the day. It should come as no surprise that the passages I read are always exactly what I've needed to hear from my Heavenly Father. Isn't God awesome?!

More and more, I find my attention drawn to the Book of Proverbs. The richness of what God has laid out for his children overwhelms me and it has cultivated a new love of the scriptures in my life! That book is truly an instruction manual for living God's way, and I find myself eagerly poring over what God has to say to me.

One day, as I was reading Proverbs chapter 31, it occurred to me that there are also 31 days in many months...and I smiled as I realized that God's instruction manual in the Proverbs could be read, one chapter a day each and every day of the month (sometimes you'll have to double up, but you see what I'm getting at). Each morning, with my cup of coffee (and often a Little One on my lap), I've read a chapter of Proverbs. It has been amazing! What is more, these beautiful verses are becoming familiar friends! Someday maybe I will even be able to memorize some of my favorites just by continuous re-reading...

As mothers, it's so easy to prioritize other things above reading the Bible (I do it too!). But we would be better wives and mothers if we'd take a few moments out of each day and read what God has to say to us...no matter what reading plan we follow.

As we approach the beginning of a new month, I invite you to try it too! Or even better, just jump right in today and start reading in Chapter 13!

for I find my delight in your commandments,
which I love.
Psalm 119: 47

Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
Psalm 90: 14

Blessings on your quiet time with the Lord,

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Off and on throughout our homeschooling journey growing up, my mother would read (or have us read) 1 Proverb and 5 Psalms daily. That took us through both books in a month. Rinse and repeat :)

Followers