Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And the winner is...

This weekend was a whirlwind of activity for my Erin. All of it was fun and exciting and wonderful, but I think I got the biggest reward of all...

Friday night I took Erin to a 2 hour dance rehearsal for the upcoming Celtic Fling Feis (competition for Irish Dance). It is the only real competition we enter so it is very important to Erin. She has practiced for hours in the basement and the blisters on her feet and the wear on her hard shoes serve as testimony to her dedication to do her best dancing. As we drove to the practice we talked and laughed and listened to music on the radio. As we walked to her class we were startled by a squirrel that unexpectedly ran across our paths. We laughed and giggled at how silly we must have looked when we jumped and screeched from surprise. As I watched her dig deep in her practice, I was very proud. She had just sprained her wrist a week ago, and I could tell it was hurting but she was determined that no one would know just how much. We drove home and I fed her a snack and put her to bed after praying over her for sweet sleep.

I prepared her costume and shined and polished her hard shoes and ghillies, made sure her wig was in order. Made a list. Found the missing poodle sock. Made another list of all the important things to do in the morning before the feis and decorated for her birthday party that would follow the competition.

Saturday morning was a blur of activity as we were up super early and in the car and on our way to the competition before we knew it. I even remembered to wish Kevin luck on his last tee-ball game of the season. We smiled and joked as we drove. Just before the competition got underway, I had the sweet opportunity to hold her in my lap and pray for her before she danced. She looked at me and smiled. She knew what I was doing. What she didn't know is that part of me was on stage too. She sailed through the competition and danced beautifully, perhaps her best yet. As we anxiously awaited the posting of the results there was much rejoicing. Two first-place medals, a second-place medal, a third-place medal and a sixth place medal. We left on cloud nine! Her performance exceeded even our wildest expectations!! Her party was beautiful and she enjoyed the congratulations of her family.

Sunday morning we drove again to the Renaissance Faire, this time just to perform. The pressure was off and again we joked and talked in the car. This was when I received my "award." "You know, mommy this was the best weekend of my whole life." I told her again how proud I was of her hard work and all her medals and how I couldn't believe that she would be 10 in just a few short days. "No, mommy. That's not what I mean....I got to spend the whole weekend with just you. You cheered for me and loved me. I love you, mommy." They don't give out medals for being a mommy, but that was mine. And, just for a moment, I knew what it felt like to win first place.

No comments:

Followers