Monday, July 12, 2010

Heavenly music...

Nothing touches my heart like music. I've heard music that brought me to tears, made me fall to my knees, made me dance with joy, and filled me with peace. I try to fill our home with music of all kinds so that my children will at least be able to appreciate good music.

As I was reading my Bible last week, God brought my attention to Zephaniah 3:17 and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind.
The LORD your God is in your midst.
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing. (ESV)

I've heard some good music in my life, I've even had the privilege of hearing some great music, but my heart was touched deeply by the thought of the God of the universe "singing" over me. I make God sing? Me? 

Then I allowed my imagination to run wild with what God's song would sound like... I realized that everything I've ever heard on earth, no matter how beautiful, would fall short of the beauty of God's song. I was moved to tears by my inability to grasp even a note of God's music, by the unimaginable beauty and absolute perfection of that song.

I've been blown away before imagining the singing that will happen around God's throne in Heaven, but I had never really meditated on this particular verse before. It has blessed me immensely. I've felt God's presence, I've also been quieted by his love in the midst of anxiety and pain, but I never realized that God exults over me (and YOU!) with singing. I encourage you to listen to your favorite song, one that touches you deeply, and then try to imagine what God's song (just for you!) will be like...

1 comment:

CB said...

You Are Being Loved by Steven Curtis Chapman:
... there's a song being sung over you
By the One who breathes life into you

You are being loved
You are being loved
Right now at this very moment
You are being loved
You are being loved
Right now, you are being loved, loved, loved
You are being loved, loved
You are

You ought to see the smile you're bringing to your father's face
You ought to hear Him sing His version of Amazing Grace
Cause that's the song being sung over you
By the God who breathes life into you

Followers