Thursday, June 17, 2010

Big Questions...

It is a wonderful thing to be around children all day. I love to share in the energy that they bring to everyday tasks. I love to watch them play and learn and explore. Everything is new, fresh and exciting. I'm also blown away by the depth of their faith in Jesus and the depth to the questions they ask about their Heavenly Father. Just this week my children have asked some "big questions."

"Why doesn't God just clean up the oil spill? He can, mommy."
"Why does God speak so clearly sometimes, and other times I am just not sure what I am hearing?"

Or, just this morning, "If God wants me to tell about Him, why do my words get stuck?"

My son has had speech difficulties as long as he has been talking. It has been heartbreaking at times to watch him try and speak but the words just don't come. He and I have both cried many tears of frustration over this, but I remain certain that it will be overcome either by a miracle (God himself) or by the practical (God working through someone else). This morning, I again shared with him the story of Moses. How God was able to use him though he was "slow of speech." In Exodus 4:10 Moses tells God why he is unable to lead... "Moses said to the LORD, 'O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.'" After that excuse, God doesn't just tell Moses, "You're right, I should choose someone else" and He also doesn't say "Oh, don't worry, I'll fix your speech right now." No, God reminds Moses that He made His mouth, He is in control and He will teach Moses what to say.

My precious boy always smiles when I tell him that story. Today he said "God will fix my words when it's time, won't he mommy?"
Yes, little man, I think He will.

No comments:

Followers