Thursday, January 05, 2012

Haven...

Right inside the front door - 3 smiling faces.

Yesterday, I posted about the Proverbs 31 Love Letter that God wrote for those of us called to keep our homes. (the link is here in case you missed it!)

Today, I want to share with you what is, for me, one of the most important aspects of homemaking...





Making my home a haven...






The dictionary definition of haven is a place of shelter or refuge. That is how I see my home.

my favorite spot for devotions
I want my home to be a place where ideas are shared,
dreams are dreamed,
prayers are prayed,
wings are strengthened before leaving the nest...




But most of all, I want it to be a place of safety and beauty.
A place where God's presence is experienced, and his love given hands and feet.



That's a pretty tall order, don't you think?


I want people to be comfy here!
No amount of decorating or painting or furnishing can do that.

My husband is the head of our home, but I feel called to be its heart.


And if my own heart isn't full to overflowing with the presence of Jesus, then my home will feel less lovely, less safe to those who spend time here - despite my efforts to beautify my home.





I suppose what I'm really trying to say is, it's not the decoration that makes our homes lovely,

it's us. 


Each one of us who has answered the call to be a wife and mother has the awesome task of creating a home for her family.

And how we decorate it is much less important than how we adorn our hearts and minds.

I've been in perfectly lovely homes with lavish, expensive furnishings and have felt uncomfortable and empty. I've been in humble homes with toys strewn about and dirty dishes in the sink and felt completely at home.

When we, as keepers of our homes, walk in humble obedience to God, with willing hearts and busy hands, our homes will be lovely.

Haven...

No comments:

Followers