Monday, January 23, 2012

Fear not...

Fear...

Be honest for a moment. When you first read that word, where did your mind go?

Fear is something that I have struggled with through my whole life. And while I've made some progress in this area, God isn't finished with me yet.

Fear, for me, is that little whisper...
you aren't good enough...

you don't deserve this...

And sometimes I'm secretly afraid that the little voice is right!

A dear friend of mine sent me some information about a writing opportunity, and immediately my mind went to fear.

What if they hate what I write?

Could I handle the rejection?

What makes you think that anyone wants to read what you write anyway?

I had almost convinced myself that this just simply wasn't for me, when the Lord brought this verse to my mind...

fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 ESV

In that verse, God doesn't say that he'd rather I wasn't so afraid of everything. 

He commands me to fear not because he is with me. And I need to take a deep breath and remember that I have nothing to fear with my Heavenly Father by my side. I've seen time and time again that he will never leave me or forsake me, and soaking in his presence will calm my anxious thoughts.

Whether or not He wants me to pursue this writing venture remains to be seen...

What I do know with certainty is that he is after my thought life - and yours too! We are of no real use for His glory if we're busy cowering in fear over what others may think or say.

Success will come when we can banish that "little voice" and learn to listen only to what our God has to say to us.

No comments:

Followers