Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Title change?! ...

My oldest is about to turn 11...As I've been poring over "old" photos to add to her slideshow for her party (a family tradition) I've been feeling more than a bit sentimental over the whole thing...









Where did the little girl who used to run around wearing dress up clothes and my old high heels go...



... and where did this breathtaking beauty come from? 

Wasn't it just yesterday that I held that impossibly tiny baby in my arms for the first time and said "I'm your mommy"...

I've been Mommy now for what seems like a long time and I've loved hearing each of our kids learn to say it.

Let's face it, there's nothing sweeter to our ears after a long day than a toddler hug and an "I wuv you Mommy." Or an older child admitting "I'm so glad you were there, Mommy."

But lately, I've noticed a new word creep into my beautiful oldest girl's vocabulary, and the first time I heard it, it came as a shock.
Perhaps I'm just being melodramatic but a title change was not what I was looking for right now...

You see, I'm no longer "Mommy."

She's started to call me "Mom."

I can't quite point to why this seems so significant ...  but it is...

It almost seems to me like we're about to embark on a new journey together...
as Mom and Daughter. 

And while our relationship hasn't really changed on the surface, it seems like our journey together is now much more...significant?...important?...vital?...

I can't quite find the right word.

We've had a Just Between You and Me book for several years now. It's getting dog-eared and some of the pages are now bent at the edges from repeated use. But it is a treasure trove of insight into her soul. She writes to me - no holds barred - anything goes - and I write back to her.

The first entries are precious in her little girl's handwriting, full of spelling errors and even some backward letters...

But lately, her questions have become deeper, and I sense that my precious girl is on the cusp of a new part of her journey.

So while a part of me feels the need to mourn a bit about my change in title, I'm glad it hasn't signaled a change in status.

As we continue to walk through this journey together, I'm just proud to have the privilege of walking at her side...
no matter what she decides to call me.

No comments:

Followers