Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fare thee well...

I don't like to say goodbye. I'm always terrible at it because I am an emotional person. On ordinary occasions I have been known to cry for no apparent reason. When saying "goodbye" to friends, I'm a mess. My solution? I don't say goodbye. Goodbye sounds so final - besides there really is nothing "good" in it, at least not right away.

Our dear friends are just a few days away from a new adventure, and I wish them all the best. But I will not say goodbye. I will send them with my prayers because that is the best of what I can offer.

As I listen to the giggling of two little girls who have become the best of friends, my heart breaks because partings always hurt. But I am thankful that, for now, they are blissfully unaware of how short a time they have left to play. You see, we've learned that friendship isn't really about time after all. It's about connections. It's about serving one another, laughter, and the knowledge that in someone else's eyes; you are special.

When they are away from us, I will smile when I see how much my daughter has grown because of her special friend. When they are gone, I will remember how much I was blessed by my beautiful friend and, in turn, I will be able to bless someone else.

I won't say goodbye. I think this says it better...

"May the LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace."
Numbers 6: 24 - 26

No comments:

Followers