Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Bend in the Road...

“…my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend…” Anne of Green Gables


I always enjoyed Anne of Green Gables as a girl, but I understand the richness of the stories so much more as a grown woman. Recently, I re-discovered this quote from the book and it has been tumbling around in my mind and my heart ever since. Something about it, at this particular time in my life, resonates with me.


I've been on the "straight road" many times and it is wonderful to be able to clearly see where I am headed. But therein lies the problem. When I can see where I'm going, I tend to forget that I'm not directing my own steps. I tend to become complacent and enjoy easy street a bit too much for my own good.


I'm thankful for bends in the road because they have made God's love for me concrete. I wouldn't have wished for many things I have faced in my life, but I'm not sorry that they happened. During those times when I can't see the next step, God lovingly guides my heart towards him. It is those times when his love is palpable. When I leave what is familiar and step out in faith, it is never easy, but it is what is best for me. God's dreams for me are always better than my own. 


I don't know what lies ahead for me, but I know that there will be many more bends in my life's road. I hope that I can face them believing that the best is yet to come.

No comments:

Followers