Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tending the soil...

My little seedlings grew quickly and my husband and I have been working hard (well, ok mostly my hubby) to prepare our garden beds.
Sayan Samana freedigitalphotos.net

We've picked out rocks, tended the soil, pulled weeds...all in preparation for the harvest this summer.

As I've been tending the little plants, I can't help but think about my kids.

How have I tended the soil in their lives?

Have I been a good example of the way in which they should go...or have I been more of a "do as I say, not as I do" mom?

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child...
(Proverbs 22:15 ESV)

Just this morning I found Little One hiding behind the sofa desperately trying to cover up evidence of a "stolen" snack after momma said, "No." When confronted, despite the evidence to the contrary, she tried to lie. "I didn't eat the snack, I just look at it." Hmmm...

Those instances are easy to address. But perhaps, there is a bit of folly in my own heart...Did I answer too sharply? Was I too quick to show my frustration? Should I listen more and speak less?

I think I'll use this opportunity to tend my own heart so I can lead my children by quiet example.


No comments:

Followers